Vented hot water tank overflowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My vented hot water tank is overflowing into the expansion tank in the attic, which, as a consequence is overflowing through the overflow pipe to the outside. Only recently had the ballcock in the cold water tank replaced. Hope there is a quick fix for this! Please assume I am a complete idiot and make explanations as simple as possible!! Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
did this start happening after you had a new mixer tap installed, especially a kitchen mixer with a single joystick lever that goes up, down and sideways?

Or a shower mixer where it is difficult to maintain a steady temperature?

Sorry no, it started the day before yesterday. Nothing changed plumbing wise, although the water pressure has reduced slightly. Thanks for your response,

What JohnD was implying is some mixer taps let the cold water run up the hot pipe thus over filling the hot tank. This happens if you have mains cold pressure but low pressre hot at a mixer tap or shower.

Sponsored Links
Just to clarify things, its definitely the smaller of the two loft tanks that's giving the problem, correct?
John :)

While you are in the loft, check that the new ball valve has been adjusted so the water level in the tank is well below the overflow (there should be a scum line to work to) and that the new valve isn't leaking and actually shuts off properly

Looks like Poppy has gone to the pub.

Andy

Which is exactly where I'm thinking of heading... Been for a lovely walk with the dog, until I got shouted at by an attention-seeking fishery bailiff, who obviously didn't know how to "talk", that got me wound up so he got to know exactly how I feel about such to$$ers... Now I need a beer :sick:

BTW: I also fish there!

My vented hot water tank is overflowing

how do you know it is coming from the hot water cylinder (it's not a tank)?

is it surprisingly hot?

does it happen all day, or mostly overnight?

Hi wasn't in the pub!!:D:D:D
The overflowing has stopped now and hasn't happened for at least 24 hrs. Yes, I checked both stopcocks and they both shut off fine. The expansion tank is now nice and cool.
Thank you all for your kind help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back