central heating - which is flow, which is return?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm feeling a bit silly...

- I've drained the central heating (sealed system heated by combi boiler), and cut the 22m flow and return pipes ready to put a new radiator loop in.

-I want to run the flow an extra metre or 2 under the floor to give it a bit of warmth (I suppose you could call it informal underfloor heating!) but...

-I forgot to check and mark which was flow and which was return before I cut the pipes.

oops

Is there a way I can tell? (without installing temporary stops on the pipe tee's I've cut - refilling the entire system, bleeding, turning heating on, marking the pipes, letting it cool, re-emptying, taking off temporary stops)

For example - do the thermostatic valves on the radiators tend to be installed on the flow side?

thanks for your help

in slight embarrassment...

Stephen

Sponsored Links
If you check the flow direction on the valves (usually marked with an arrow) it should indicate the direction of flow.

why dont you re-align the pipes you cut then just follow them back to the boiler and check which is which,your manual will tell you the sequence of order for the inlets/outlets on the boiler,the thermastatic valves coould be bi-directional and on either flow or return.failing that carry out all your work then when you re-connect everything back up and test,when you light the boiler feel which pipe gets hot first, this is the flow then if you have them crossed simply uncross them again.

Hi all

thanks for your help

So far I've not found any arrows on radiator valves (I have one more to check)

The route of the pipes from the boiler includes a lot of inaccessible long boxed and behind walls sections, so I'm unfortunately not going to be able to route with any accuracy.

Yes I may well end up tossing a coin, connecting, refilling bleeding, checking and possibly draining swapping etc.

To give me my best chance of guessing accurately - most of the radiators have thermostatic valves. Is there an accepted practice as to whether they are on the flow or return side of the radiator?

cheers

Stephen

Sponsored Links
do you have a manual for the boiler? If so have you checked whether it shows which is which?

Following the pipes to the nearest radiator, I found that some gorgeous person (bless their cotton socks) has put mysterious symbols on the joist above the pipes: 'F' and 'R'

fantastic

thanks for all your support

Stephen

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back