Heating flow & return connected together

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

Please advise if flow & return pipe in 2 pipe heating system should be connected together, as per below sketch:

Main heating flow & return pipes are 22 mm with 3x 15 mm radiator connections on each, plus additionally the flow and return pipes are also connected together.

I will be grateful for your opinion if this is been done correctly or not.

Attachments

• Heating feed and return connected together.JPG
    Heating feed and return connected together.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 453
Sponsored Links
If your diagram is anywhere near a true representation of the actual pipework the rads would never fill with water !

Hey @terryplumb, thank you for your reply.

Can you please explain, why they would never fill with water ?

Sponsored Links
Fair play, your comment makes sense. Diagram was made quickly, and obviously pipes are connected in the S plan system.

Please advise, if it is ok to leave the flow and return pipes connected together or should they be capped off at each end.

Do the radiators heat up ok ?
If your pipework is actually connecting flow and return ,without any by pass valve between , it would be very unusual ??

They are heating up ok. We are in the middle of the house refurbishment project, and it will be the best moment to correct the pipe work, if it is incorrect.

I very much doubt they are connected the way you think. Show us some pics of the joint / pipework

Hey @terryplumb,

Please see photo of one end. I will try to upload the other end too, but it looks almost the same (3x 15mm connection on flow and return).

Attachments

• 20221006_134139.jpg
    20221006_134139.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 209
Looks like a manifold .The top of it out of picture, does it have a 22mm pipe going in and one out ?

Hello All,

Please advise if flow & return pipe in 2 pipe heating system should be connected together, as per below sketch:

Main heating flow & return pipes are 22 mm with 3x 15 mm radiator connections on each, plus additionally the flow and return pipes are also connected together.

I will be grateful for your opinion if this is been done correctly or not.
Can you add the boiler and pump to the sketch, and if poss the F/E tank or expansion vessel? Then we might be able to comment.

But interestingly, the first house I moved into, in 1973, I found if I turned all the rads off the boiler wasn't dead-headed, it just cycled on/off on its control-stat, so maybe piped like yours. But surprisingly, the heating still worked reasonably well. I had to convince the builder that the plumbers had teed into a pipe, but they should have jumped over it and teed into one further away. They changed it and all was well.

Last edited:
That is correct @terryplumb

It is HEP2O manifold, with 22mm going out from the feed and connecting back to the return pipe. The same is on the other end of the feed and return pipe.

Please advice if it should be like that, or should both ends be dead-ended.

Looks like a manifold .The top of it out of picture, does it have a 22mm pipe going in and one out ?
That is correct @terryplumb

It is HEP2O manifold, with 22mm going out from the feed and connecting back to the return pipe. The same is on the other end of the feed and return pipe.

Please advice if it should be like that, or should both ends be dead-ended.
If your answer to my specific question is " yes ,there is a 22mm pipe going into and out of the manifold" , then where does each pipe go to ? One of them will connect directly to the boiler ,but where does the other one lead to ?
To be frank , your replys are not making much sense.
If the c/heating is working ok ,then I doubt you have anything to worry about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back