CH Drain point on boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to drain the CH system and replace water and inhibitor. There are no drains on any of the radiators, but there is what looks like a drain on the bottom of the boiler. On the attached image look at the bottom of the left hand copper pipe. Only thing is, it's not below the level of the radiators, probably about 6" up from the bottom of each rad (single storey). There's also one rad that's lower than the rest and this drain point is about level with the top of that one.

1. Is it a drain point?
2. How can I get the rest of the water out, seeing as this higher than the bottom of the rads? Do I actually need to get it all out? (Water is clear, no debris, but no idea when inhibitor was last replaced - at least 5 years ago).

Attachments

• IMG-20180511-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20180511-WA0000.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 93
Sponsored Links
I usually drain just enough water to allow me to add inhibitor into an upstairs towel rail.

Was told you shouldn't mix inhibitor types. As I don't know what's in there I wanted to drain it all and start fresh. Is that not needed? Or shall I just drain what I can and not worry about the dregs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back