CH has no drain valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have a microbore CH system in my flat with an 'old-style' non-condensing boiler which seems to have no drain valve. I've looked at the radiators and at all the pipework I can find above the floorboards around the boiler/pump/cylinder etc and there isn't one. I want to add a flusher for a chemical flush then add inhibitor cos I get lots of air in the system. Is there something else I should be looking for or another way of draining that I'm not aware of? Thanks for any help.
Confused!

Sponsored Links
If all the flats are the same , can you ask a neighbour? Sometimes people do install systems without drain valves

Check outside the flat for a pipe coming out the wall. In my old flat the drain cock was under the floorboards in the middle of a room but the pipe drained straight out through the wall.

Thanks guys. Can see no pipes coming out of the walls, and the CH isn't original to the flat so it's unlikely the neighbours would have had the same system or installer when mine was changed. S
cratching head time!

Sponsored Links
Isolate a rad, crack union and drain into rubble sack. Remove rad.

Connect male thread on rad valve to drain hose with fitting of your choice, drain system.

Remove lockshield valve, take to merchants and buy combined lockshield/drainoff valve to suit. Fit L/s D/o and replace rad and you're good to go.

Towels/cat litter/incontinence pads will reduce/eliminate damage/stains to carpets from the inevitable minor spills.

Where the primary pipe enters the floor, you could use a self cutting tap and use that to drain the system with all rads closed, once drained, cut out the small pierced section, insert a tee and then add a new piece of pipe running outside with an ISO valve inserted.

And be sure to hold valve securely from twisting when cracking union.

Good luck!

Connect male thread on rad valve to drain hose with fitting of your choice, drain system.

Depending on what you want to do, you can often turn off both rad valves and screw a 15 mm iso valve into the top of the rad where the bleed screw is located. But that only works on the rads which have 1/2" tappings.

Then you use it for dynamic flushing where you add water whilst circulating the system water and letting some out.

Tony

Depending on what you want to do, you can often turn off both rad valves and screw a 15 mm iso valve into the top of the rad where the bleed screw is located. But that only works on the rads which have 1/2" tappings.

Then you use it for dynamic flushing where you add water whilst circulating the system water and letting some out.

Tony
Thats interesting Tony - forgive me for being dim but 'letting some out' - is that out of the drain/lockshield that polesapart described?

Either that or from the iso valve as I suggested.

Kamco borrowed my description of this method some while ago. Used to be on their web site.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back