Adding a new radiator - combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking to add an additional radiator in my front room. I will be tapping in to the existing pipework (pipework) which is under the floor boards.

As it is a combi boiler I understand that I need to first turn it off electrically and then drain the system using the drain valve and hose pipe. Then open all the bleed valves to empty the system completely starting at the top of the house.

Will this also empty the pipe work under the floor or will this still contain water?

Then add the radiator and pipework, add inhibitor via towel radiator and re-pressurise? Is that pretty much it?

I have toyed with the idea of getting the system flushing but not sure it is needed?

Thanks,
Martin.

Sponsored Links
Then open all the bleed valves to empty the system completely starting at the top of the house.

No need to do this really but won't do any harm.

Will this also empty the pipe work under the floor or will this still contain water?

If it is lower that the drain off then there will still be water in the pipes. Shouldn't be a problem below the floor though.

Then add the radiator and pipework, add inhibitor via towel radiator and re-pressurise? Is that pretty much it?

Pretty much. Remembering to bleed the radiators of course.

Ok thanks.

Is it worth getting the system power flushed at the same time?

Sponsored Links
No not really, there is one radiator in the hall that has a bit of a cold spot in the middle but other than that the rest seem fine.

As you are draining the system anyway, why not add a chemical cleanser, and leave it circulating in the system for a week or so and then drain it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back