CH pump not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My CH radiators dont warm up...

I have a Boulter Boiler which has two flow and two return pipes.
One flow/return is used to heat the HW cylinder and a bathroom radiator.
The other flow/return is for the CH. The HW and CH pipework is completely separate outside of the boiler.

I have recently removed/cleaned/decorated/refitted all radiators including new TRVs (apart from one rad). All valves on all rads are open, all rads bled.

When I turn on the boiler it runs for about 6 min then switches off. The HW pipework does get hot (cylinder and rad). The CH flow from boiler is hot (for about 1m) but rest of CH pipework (inc rads) is cold.

The CH pump (ikon) has electricity but I cannot hear/feel it working. Pump does get hot but the pipes into/outof pump are NOT hot.
Have tried to bleed the pump but when I undo screw no water comes out.
The bleed screw does not come out.
Have also tried giving the pump a little nudge.
Cannot see where to manually turn pump (using screwdriver).
As far as I can tell the gate valves around the pump are all open.

Any thoughts most welcome,
Andy

Sponsored Links
Most domestic pumps have a screw on the front of the motor section which can be removed and a screwdriver inserted to engage and turn the shaft.

hi Bluepengy

sounds like a air lock to me.......i know you said you have bled the rads but this is in the pipe run.
start at the nearest rad to the boiler and bleed at least a pint or 2 and move along to the next one, sooner or later your rads will work, ;)
also you will have to top up with inhibitor at some stage
Also you can remove the pump screw and put a small screwdriver in to feel if the impeller is spinning

Sponsored Links
Ta for the suggestions.

The old 'hosepipe down the header tank feed' trick has sorted it out!

Thanx,
Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back