Chalet drafty floors - insulate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My 1960s chalet house is always a struggle to get warm.

I've done insulation everywhere but I've noticed that the ceiling/floor void is really cold and draugty - I assume this is because the floors are open to the eaves which themselves are open to outside.

Is it sensible to insulate the floor/ceiling void at the point where it meets the internal eaves wall - or will this store up problems in the future? I was thinking of using fibreglass insulation

Thanks fo any help

Sponsored Links
Well, that`s exactly what I`ve done ..in a house that`s the same as yours......style/age :idea: and I still get enough air movement in the Roof voids ;) . The only problems I forsee will be the poxy beauracrats and HIPS :rolleyes: when it`s sold .........and that`ll be by my kids after I`m carried out of here :eek:

Well, that`s exactly what I`ve done ..in a house that`s the same as yours......style/age :idea: and I still get enough air movement in the Roof voids ;) . The only problems I forsee will be the poxy beauracrats and HIPS :rolleyes: when it`s sold .........and that`ll be by my kids after I`m carried out of here :eek:

Thanks Nige..I suspect I'm going to be crawling through the eaves this weekend stuffing fibreglass under the floorboards. Afterall if it was a conventional house there wouldn't be ventilation in the floorboards on the 1st floor would there?

Sponsored Links
absolutely.......and mine is built so the wallplate carrying the roof is on the outer skin of the cavity wall......unusual, and bloody freezing when first built in the late 50`s. draught up the cavity etc..No heating other than 1 open fire...interesting is the 15 yr.old extension. they didn`t get the insulation in the right places there :rolleyes: I mostly worked in building maintenance so I`m used to fixing others mistakes ;) . think you`ll find a difference when you`ve done it. I love the old place it`s got a 2 storey hall with a small galleried landing round 3 sides.......waste of space, but a nice feature in my opinion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back