change of use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any help greatly appreciated.
I bought a dilapidated shop 15 years ago for my business use. The purchase description was “ shop with accommodation” We have always used the accommodation for storage etc. I never informed the rates department that I want to use the whole building as one but they automatically only charged us business rates for the whole building. I retired recently and rent the shop to my son who I have given the business to. He doesn’t need the extra space upstairs and so I want to let it as a flat (it has always been set out as a flat)
I’m sure knowing the way my local council behave they will class it as a change of use and make me go through the new strict building regs route. Would they be right / or is it as easy as me just informing the rates department that I want to let the flat as it is?
I don’t want commit myself to asking them without your views first.

Sponsored Links
Despite what the purchase documents stated, it would be what the planning dept has recorded what will count.

If the property is in a business use class then you will have a job convincing the planners that the use should be or has been residential for a significant period of time, in order to claim "established use".

Having said that, if there is parking available, then there may be no reason for the planners to refuse an application for part change of use to C3 residential

If the current use class is B1 (a) by chance, then you can use it for residential under permitted development

You will also need a building regulation application

What+You+Talkin+Bout+Willis+Picture.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks Woody, I checked the rates category and it is down as "CA (shop and premises) I then went into VOA business rates site and it says my my premises is retail downstairs and storage upstairs in the flat.
Looks like building regs now? DOH!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back