Changes to existing loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to work out what steps I need to take and what things are needed to re-do an existing loft conversion.

The house itself was sold to me as a 3 bed house with one of the bedrooms in the loft.
The conversion was definitely done pre-building regs as their are no records of building application and a number of things don't conform to building regs (floor on ceiling joists, no insulation, degree slope staircase etc....)

I am looking at upgrading the room and making it a more useable room.

I want to put in new floor joists, resting on the external and internal load bearing walls, put in new insulation (probably not to current regs as limited ceiling height) and maybe look into possibility of a small dormer.

I won't be able to fully comply with building regs, as I don't want to mess about changing the stairs and the insulation will be under recommended amount. Or will I need to?

What I would love is some guidance on what would be the necessary steps for me to take?

Structural engineer?
Architect?
Building control?
Would I need planning permission?

Thanks

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/changing-existing-loft-conversion.566937/#ixzz6pdGJZX00

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back