Changing Domestic LPG Fuelled Central Heating System to Oil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Probably not the right place to ask this but I'm finding it difficult to get information on this issue.

I'm guessing this is probably a bit much for the average DIY person ... ?

I expect to move house in the next few months and the area I plan to move to has quite a few LPG-fuelled central heating systems. My impression is that domestic bulk tank LPG is expensive and that the level of service from suppliers is generally poor. So, should I end up with a house with LPG, I would like to convert to oil.

I'm assuming the easy bit is installing a new oil-fired boiler and oil storage tank?

I don't suppose the LPG tank can simply be disconnected and left? It actually has to be removed?

And cost/difficulty of this will depend very much on whether the tank is on the surface or buried.

Sponsored Links
My impression is that domestic bulk tank LPG is expensive and that the level of service from suppliers is generally poor. So, should I end up with a house with LPG, I would like to convert to oil.

I'm on LPG and service from supplier is excellent.

I don't suppose the LPG tank can simply be disconnected and left? It actually has to be removed?

And cost/difficulty of this will depend very much on whether the tank is on the surface or buried.

Homeowner doesn't own the bulk tank it is the property of gas supplier so is up to them, in reality, what happens to it.

Although a very small number of LPG bulk storage tanks are privately owned, the vast majority are rented for a monthly fee from the LPG supplier. As such, if you opt to retain it you'll need to carry on paying for it. The best option would be to get the oil-fired infrastructure in place, run the LPG down to zero then fire up the oil boiler. You can then contact your LPG supplier to have the tank removed (although if it's buried they'll most likely decline and leave it where it is). They will, of course, remove it with the LPG in if you want them to, but they're highly unlikely to want to give you a refund for gas you yourself have not actually paid for, so you'd be losing all that gas for no obvious benefit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back