Heating Oil v LPG Bulk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK in simple terms - I may have probelms site'ing an LPG tank so another tact is OIL fired. Similar install costs (well ish). But which is cheaper to RUN on the surface it looks like OIL is cheaper (at the moment). Does the oil price fluctuate a Lot?

If I buy a 1000ltr of Heating Oil Cost @ £375.00 + Vat
or
I buy 1000Ltr of LPG Gas @ £ 390.00+Vat

In a domestic House which will run out first if the following assumptions are made that it is the same house, same usage, and similar sized boiler.

1) Comby Boiler With 8 Rads
2) Both systems are Current Modern Installs

Sponsored Links
A combination boiler is not ideally suited for either, especially oil, because it has to be sized for the hot water demand, making it over sized for the heating.

A small heat only oil boiler and an un-vented cylinder would be much less to run, than a damn great combi.

Hi

Can i just pop into this post. Got a split coal fired back boiler on a vented system so could i get a small heat only boiler to replace this and as i have no mains gas would oil or lpg be better. Or shall i just replace with new parkray and boiler??

Ta

Sponsored Links
TheWhittys, you can start your own topic for FREE! Hijacking another topic can give rise to unbelievable confusion.

To everyone planning a new heating system without nat gas!

The future direction of fuel costs is going to be upwards.

Both oil and gas fluctuate greatly.

A larger tank enables purchases at cheaper times. A larger tank is not that much more than a smaller tank. Filling a larger tank can be cheaper per litre than filling a small tank.

All heating fuels seem cheaper during the summer, Dont get tied to one supplier.

They love to pay for your tank! Then you pay several times over when they over charge you to fill it.

Tony

A larger tank is not that much more than a smaller tank. Filling a larger tank can be cheaper per litre than filling a small tank.

It has to be much bigger than a normal domestic tank to make much difference in the price. then you have the problem in the case of oil, that it stands around for so long it goes stale.

Considering the calorific value of each type of fuel, and the relative efficiencies of each type of boiler may help your decision, giving you a price per joule of heat delivered rather than a price per litre of the fuel.

If the prices of fuels are similar per litre, but the calorific value of one fuel is 20% higher than another, that could represent a saving in fuel consumption for the same heat output, assuming that both fuels can be utilised at the same efficiency.

However, if the higher calorific value fuel cannot be used as efficiently by your chosen system, the sums may slew the other way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back