Changing drawstring light switch with 40year old wiring (4 red wires)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

Happy Monday and I hope whoever reading this is well. I'm trying to replace a 40 year old light switch (which has been removed). I am left with 3 x red wires (which their own outer grey tubing) all wrapped together at the end and 1 x other red wire which shares some outer grey tubing with what I think is the earth maybe?

How do I translate this to the new wiring system (new drawstring light switch has 3 holes in the centre block and an earth screw on the side)

Thanks in advance :)

AL.

Sponsored Links
Show us a pic of terminal identification on new switch.
The earth conductor/s go to the earth terminal. The single red would go to com and the others bunched together in L1 would be my suspicion,Or vice versa.

Presumably the three reds in COM and the single red in L1 or the equivalent markers. Earth wire in earth terminal.

The same as it was connected before.

See pictures below. On light switch the available holes are:
- L1 & L2 ( 2 holes on one side, lower)
- L (1 hole on top side)

832356BC-D369-41B3-B5B7-007AA39DCC13.JPG

IMG-1257.jpg

Sponsored Links
OK so to confirm. The 3 red wire bundle I can put into L1 and single red into the L? Then earth to earth obviously.

Yes ,or 3 red into L ,and single into L1, as said above it doesn't matter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back