Old wiring ................... new light fitting!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys
I'm trying to replace two ceiling lights in my lounge, but the wiring is a bit strange.
From the ceiling I have three grey cables with the following wires, all ending in connector blocks;
3 x red wires into one block
1 x black wire into one block
2 x black wires into one block
Earth wires into a fourth block.
When tested with an electrical screwdriver, the 3 x red wires and the 1 x black wire are live.

On the new lights there is a connector block attached with three ports .......... a live, neutral and earth. My issue is which old cables go into the new block.
I hope I've explained myself clearly, it all sounds sensible in my head!!

Many thanks,
Slime.

Sponsored Links
Hi guys
I'm trying to replace two ceiling lights in my lounge, but the wiring is a bit strange

Not strange at all, this is the usual way of wiring lights where the ceiling rose is used as a junction box.

Capture.JPG

The three wires connected together stay that way. They are all permanently live, and do not connect to the light.

The two black wires are the Neutral for the light

The single black wire (should really be marked with a red sleeve as it is a live) this is the live for the light

Am I right in assuming the ceiling's earth wires go to the earth terminal on the new lamp, the two blacks go to the neutral, the single black goes to the live and the three reds get shoved out of the way?

Obviously I'll take the fuse out before I do any of this!!

Yes. That's what the diagram shows. And yes make sure that it's isolated. When the light switch is turned off the three reds connected together will still be live.

Sponsored Links
Hi Stem
Just to let you know that the job's now been done, although I did have to change the blocks on the lamp as they were too small!
Thanks for your help (y).

Slime.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back