Help with light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need help with wiring/fitting a light.

It has 2 sets of three wires, RED, BLACK and EARTH. Currently I have the neutral and earth wires x 2 wired into the new block (3 x way) and one of the red cables in the block. The other is terminated in another block. The light works! But won't switch off!

1zm2xcl.jpg

Can anyone advice on this type of wiring please?

Sponsored Links
The two reds should be connected together but to nothing else.
The light connected to the blacks.

The black which is in the same cable as the red you have connected is the neutral (to blue) and the other black is the switched live (to brown).

Presumably as they were before.

That's absolutely amazing, worked first time. I have no idea how you could tell that from the picture but whatever magical powers you possess are very much appreciated!

Thanks for your help.

That's absolutely amazing, worked first time. I have no idea how you could tell that from the picture but whatever magical powers you possess are very much appreciated!

Thanks for your help.

But do you understand why it works? It's nothing to do with magical powers. 240v is lethal and not understanding what you are doing can also be lethal.

Sponsored Links
No, please do explain. I don't understand how to tell the difference between the two black cables to identify which one was live and which was neutral? I have put some red insulating tape around the live wire for future reference.

And the two reds, now redundant from the old rose fitting - are they still part of the circuit? What was/is their function?

I realise there are risks so sorry if I was glib. I have been testing the cabling was not live and taking some precautions.

The reds are not redundant, they are connected.

One is the supply and the other takes the supply to the switch.
The supply was obviously the one you connected to the light otherwise it would not have lit.
It's accompanying black would be the neutral.

I hope that connector block with its bracket has been properly re-fitted into the light fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back