Light wiring help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi DIY project, fitting a new ceiling light but struggling with the wiring.

I get the existing 2 x blue neutral wires go together into the connector block opposite the neutral wire of the new light.

The earth goes into the connector block opposite the earth of the new light.

But the brown, red and black wires confuse me….. the existing red is live, as are the existing brown - but the black is old
Neutral? And is connected to the two existing brown wires in the ceiling connector?

Attachments

• IMG_2471.jpeg
    IMG_2471.jpeg
    233.4 KB · Views: 87
Sponsored Links
Two blues Neutral. Loop in and Loop out
Two Browns Live Loop in and Loop out
Black Live to switch
Red Switched Live from switch

Sponsored Links
Also note it doesn't look like your switch drop has an earth (no no metal switches should be used). It would appear that it was an old unearthed lighting circuit (this I'm guessing is an early to mid 1960s property?) , which has had the feeds re-wired semi recently but the switch drop has been left to avoid chasing out the wall

Two blues Neutral. Loop in and Loop out
Two Browns Live Loop in and Loop out
Black Live to switch
Red Switched Live from switch
Just to clarify for the op - the red and black wires in your rose would normally be reversed.

(Yours has been wired so the black is permanent live and red is switched live - just so you know.)

Thank you, I’ve still really no clue how to connect the brown/red/black wires. Gonna get someone in lol

The blues should be connected together, the 2 brown and the black in the middle should be connected together and the red on the left should be connected to the new switched live on your fitting.

Does this look right?

Attachments

• IMG_2500.jpeg
    IMG_2500.jpeg
    218.6 KB · Views: 68
Yes the wiring connections are correct. The grey outer sheath of all cables should come into the enclosure ,some are a bit short.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back