Cant for the life of me figure out something thats so simple

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there
i have read so many guides etc on how to apparently do this but some contradict others so i need to make sure before i proceed
basically i have a new light to put up on the ceiling replacing a ceiling rose.
the new light unit has a 3 way connector block with live, neutral and live.
the existing light is a loop which has the brown, blue and green etc

am i right in thinking that i need to wire
> the existing blue (neutral) wires to the neutral on the new lights
> the existing yellow (earth) wires to the earth ones on the new lights
> the switch wire which is blue with brown tape to the live on the new lights
> the remaining brown wires to be connected to their own connector block all together ??

would really appreciate some help on this

Sponsored Links
Yes, that sounds correct.

so by that im assuming that the remaining brown wires that have their own block have no other wires connected to this from the new lights etc?

so would a four way block do the job or do i just connect all the existing wiring to the new lights and buy a small block for the remaining brown?

sorry for all the questions but just want to make sure its correct lol

so by that im assuming that the remaining brown wires that have their own block have no other wires connected to this from the new lights etc?
Correct
so would a four way block do the job or do i just connect all the existing wiring to the new lights and buy a small block for the remaining brown?
Either

Have you seen my edit to my original post?

Sponsored Links
Correct
Either

Have you seen my edit to my original post?

yeah i was just looking at that but cant figure out how that would work with my setup - im guessing i would need to figure out what the supply live cable is and what the other lights live cables are as by the picture the top red wire feeds the switch and other lights...

How many brown wires are there?

there are 3 brown wires in the connector labelled as loop and one coming from the existing light which goes into the connector labelled L

also into the L connector is a blue wire with brown tape which i assume is the switch cable

in the N connector is 3 blue cables one of which is the existing light cable

If you have NO other lights operated by the same switch then go with your original post.

It will be as in the diagram which may look confusing because one of the cables comes from a different direction.

If you have NO other lights operated by the same switch then go with your original post.

It will be as in the diagram which may look confusing because one of the cables comes from a different direction.

so basically if i wire it as in the diagram but without the supply brown cable going into the connector block from the left, but the brown cable goes into the right of the block as in the diagram but like i said - without anything in the left side

No. 5A would do but will be physically too small for 3 wires.

On the other hand if too large the wires may work loose.

So just buy the right size. physically.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back