New Light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have attempted to change a light fitting and now it doesnt come on at all. I had 3 black wires of which 1 had a red sheath (live switch) the other 2 I presumed to be neutral, 3 red wires and 1 earth. I connected the live to live the 2 neutral to neutral and the earth to a terminal block as light fitting is double insulated. Nothing works and as of yet no fuses blown. Am I right in guessing that the live switch wire must have been incorrectly identified or has something else happened. Do the three red wires need to be twisted together and fitted to a terminal block as well I have also lost 2 other lights since this attempt. When I removed old fitting they appeared to be just left loose .Any help would be gratefully accepted.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I have attempted to change a light fitting and now it doesnt come on at all. I had 3 black wires of which 1 had a red sheath (live switch) the other 2 I presumed to be neutral,
That is/should be correct.

3 red wires and 1 earth.
You should have three earths but that is not the problem.

I connected the live to live the 2 neutral to neutral and the earth to a terminal block as light fitting is double insulated.
You should have connected the reds together in one block but not connected to anything else.

Nothing works and as of yet no fuses blown. Am I right in guessing that the live switch wire must have been incorrectly identified or has something else happened. Do the three red wires need to be twisted together and fitted to a terminal block as well
Yes.

I have also lost 2 other lights since this attempt. When I removed old fitting they appeared to be just left loose .Any help would be gratefully accepted.
That will happen if the reds are not connected together.

There should be four connections.
1) Earth likely three earth wires.
2) Neutral likely two neutral wires.
3) Permanent line likely two red wires.
4) Switched line likely a black wire with red sleeve.
The pendent is connected to 2) Neutral and 4) Switched line. The original ceiling rose will have a connector block with two "4) Switched line" then three "3) Permanent line" then another three "2) Neutrals" but imported lamps where the ceiling rose is replaced often have the centre three connection block missing and one has to swap the block often three connections for a new one with four connections and try and get all the wires into the new block.

The ceiling rose is both a point to connect lamp and a junction box and where wires are tight it is tempting to first connect them into a connector block and add a short length of 3 core so the junction box part of the ceiling rose is the new four connector block and push it out of the way into the ceiling. Technically this breaks the rules with both a unprotected junction block which could be touched by anyone removing floor boards and also a junction where there is no assess for maintenance but it is never the less common practice.

Sponsored Links
Guys, thanks for the advice, will fit the 3 red wires into a single terminal block. I couldn't believe when I removed the original light fitting what I found, light has been up years and only now as she decided she wanted a new light did I have cause to get this far, but now I think the wires were left twisted together but not connected to anything in the hole in the ceiling. In my playing around in making the wires fit the new light they have come untwisted and if the light had worked I would have left them as they were !!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back