Replacing ceiling light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I am wanting to change the light fitting in our living room. This existing one was in when we bought the house.
After detaching it from its bracket. There are three wires from actual fitting, live neutral and earth each connected to a separate block.

From the ceiling I have:
3 black neutrals joined in one block with the neutral from the light fitting.
3 earth joined in block with the earth from the light fitting.
One black wire with red sheath (presumably switched live) in a block with the live from the light fitting.

There are then 3 red live wires coming from the ceiling, taped together and not connected to anything?

Firstly is this normal?
Secondly, to connect to my new light fitting so I connect as it is and then with the 3 red live wires from the ceiling just put them in a Wago terminal block or something, rather than leaving them taped?

I’ve attached some photos. The light fitting is the existing one, not the new one.

Thank you

Jay

Attachments

• IMG_9517.jpeg
    IMG_9517.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_9514.jpeg
    IMG_9514.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_9516.jpeg
    IMG_9516.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 38
Sponsored Links
Yes, absolutely correct.
Connect as it is now but put the 3 reds into either a wago block, (preferable), or a standard 'chock block' as it will be accessible in the light fitting, (just as the other screwed terminals will be).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back