Changing from double switch to single

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello...

I'm in the process of trying to change a double switch, controlling ceiling and wall lights separately into a single switch so that they all turn on together.
Although I'm having problems lol...

The wiring consists of...
A 3 core wire (red, black and earth)
And a single wire (red)
And a loop wire (red) (I'm assuming this is what it is called, it is literally about an inch long going from one terminal to the other!

It was wired...
3 core red into common,
3 core neutral into 3 (directly below the above)
The loop from common to common
Single wire into 2 (directly above looped wire)

How does this wire into a single switch with L1L1L2L2?

Do I have the wrong type of switch?

Please help!

Sponsored Links
Yeah thank you, I realised that I was actually just being dumb and that it was pretty simple...amazing what a cup of coffee can do!

Thank you!

Yeah, so cablewise you have peice of twin and earth an incoming live feed (red) and a switch wire (black) returning to the first light.
Then a second switch wire (red single) to the other light, taking its live feed from the T+E.

I find this sort of job a two stage process.
- Work out what you have and how it currently works.
- Work out what you want and how you are goign to do that with what you have.

The new switch you have appears to be a double pole single way switch, and is infact actaully two 2terminal on-off switchs side by side. The old switch being a pair of single pole switches which may well have a two way (three terminal) switchs.

Edited to add image

Daniel

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back