CHANGING FROM PLASTIC TO CHROME FACEPLATES

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'VE READ A FEW TOPICS ON THIS SUBJECT BUT I JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE.I'M CHANGING MY OLD PLASTIC SWITCHES & SOCKET FACEPLATES TO CHROME ,AND I THINK I'M CORRECT IN SAYING THAT YOU HAVE TO HAVE A LINK OF EXTRA EARTH WIRE FROM THE BACK OF THE CHROME FACE PLATE TO THE EXSISTING EARTH WIRE IN THE METAL BOX.....MIGHT BE A SILLY QUESTION BUT IS THERE A CERTAIN SIZE OF EARTH WIRE OR ARE THEY ALL STANDARD.?

Sponsored Links
2.5, and please
caplock.jpg
off

In the case of sockets the earth wires should (must) be taken to the earth terminal on the sockets and not to the terminal in the back box.

In the case of metal fronted switches I would suggest it is better to take the earth wire to the earth terminal on the plate and link that to the back box rather than depend on the terminal in the back box.

Some back box earth terminals are not well made and can become loose over time. Not a problem with plastic switches but far from ideal with metal faced switches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back