earthing chrome sockets to back box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just replaced my plastic socket face plates with chrome ones . Where there has been a metal back box i've made an additional earth connection between the faceplate and the back box.

I had a few plastic dryline boxes. i've been told that I don't need an addition earthing of the chrome face plate/ back box in the instance.

As i wasn't eniterely certain of this where there is a plastic dryline box I have earthed the faceplate, in addtional to the normal earth terminal, to a 10amp terminal block which i've left loose tucked away in the box.

Is this ok, if not what would be good practice?

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
I had a few plastic dryline boxes. i've been told that I don't need an addition earthing of the chrome face plate/ back box in the instance.

As i wasn't eniterely certain of this where there is a plastic dryline box I have earthed the faceplate, in addtional to the normal earth terminal, to a 10amp terminal block which i've left loose tucked away in the box.
assuming its all T+E pvc cable
All the fronts need to be earthed and good practise to earth the metal box, although some dont
There is no need for the plastic box but the front must be earthed
Providing the link in the plastic boxes, is in a term block and cant short to the socket L or N it should be ok or you can remove it

I've just replaced my plastic socket face plates with chrome ones . Where there has been a metal back box i've made an additional earth connection between the faceplate and the back box.
Good.

Presumably the socket face is earthed via the circuit earth - it doesn't have an earth terminal of its own? If it does, earth it, but there's no point "earthing" a plastic box (you can't, anyway...)

Is this ok, if not what would be good practice?
Not sure what you've done - can you describe it better?

The socket face plate is earthed via the circuit earth , and with the metal boxes I made the further earth connection to the box.

On the plastic dry line box - circuit earth is connected to its appropriate terminal- but I ran a additonal earth connection to a terminal block.

I knida get the feelining this was wrong??

Sponsored Links
The socket face plate is earthed via the circuit earth , and with the metal boxes I made the further earth connection to the box.

On the plastic dry line box - circuit earth is connected to its appropriate terminal- but I ran a additonal earth connection to a terminal block.

I knida get the feelining this was wrong??
When you have a metal light switch box you do similar and leave a teminated earth incase someone fits a metal switch in future
This is similar to what you have done, in reverse , except it is unlikely someone will change the plastic socket box
Provided the end is sealed it should not be a problem

I even went out specifically to buy some terminal blocs with this in mind.

But still i suppose its nice to get out every now and again. :oops:

Theres two drylines boxes where ive done this. In light of what you've both said, i think i will unscrew the faceplates and remove the terminal block/ excess earth.

As ever, many thanks for your expertise.

You have got green and yellow sleeving on the earths
And not bare copper
What did you use to link the fronts to the metal back boxes

You have got green and yellow sleeving on the earths
And not bare copper
What did you use to link the fronts to the metal back boxes

Yes all the earth connections I made were sleeved in green and yellow - none were left bare.

I used a strip of sleeved earthing cable to make the connection between the metal back boxes and the face plate.

Out of interest is there a specific rule of thumb in determing what size/ core earthing cable should be used when working with different sized cables.

Sometimes it is usually same as phase conducters

There is also a formula which sometimes allows the earth to be smaller as in Twin and earth.
Your earth links are not essential but 1.5 or 2. 5 would normally be used.
I usually use 2.5 single G/y as I have lots and do more industrial single core wiring,but as said this is my own preferance not a reg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back