Changing locks fitted to uPVC doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to change the locks on the front and back door of my new house, can anyone tell me please:
1. Is it a fairly straightforward diy job to replace this type of lock (see picture), assuming I can buy a direct replacement?
2. Can I get a lock that does not have to be locked with a key on the inside, i.e. pulling the handle up locks the door, then it needs a key from the outside to open it but on the inside you can just use the handle? I know that's less secure but family is complaining about having to use a key to lock the door when they come in.
Any help appreciated.
//media.diynot.com/103000_102065_52174_45280962_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
yes
and possible but i think its to do with saftey,once door is locked cannot be opened by someone smashing the glass/window.

Sponsored Links
I would recommend that you get a more secure euro cylinder while your changing them. Most euro cylinders are very insecure and can be very easily snapped and bumped. See youtube for how easy it is to enter a property fitted with eurocylinders even without any signs of forced entry. Although lock snapping is the easiest method of entry. I know someone who managed to make a bump key to bump an old euro cylinder. Bump keys can be purchased fairly easily.

I replaced my euro cylinders with a pair of keyed alike Avocet ABS cylinders which are the most secure available. They are easy to replace, just unscrew the cylinder with the door open, push the lock out and fit the new one. You have to measure correctly before you order/purchase. If you buy a cheap euro cylinder longer than is necessary, it makes it even easier to snap. There is a thumbturn version and keyed alike in polished brass or chrome.

http://www.avocet-hardware.co.uk/images/catalogue/ABS-Cylinders.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back