Cheap Chinese mortise sash locks.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having visited my local ironmonger to purchase 3 lever mortise sash locks; having checked three; all had their face plates fitted bent; the sales person said they had a thousand in stock; I said they were rubbish; they said they are used in sheds; I said they should be sent back or scrapped; you cannot fit locks with bent at each end face plates; I paid four times more per each lock but for a Union lock.[/b]

Sponsored Links
your on a roll with bad luck today wernt you?
Hello Greggers, yes indeed; frustration and stress is the order in today's world for years; always I/we would check check and check everthing we purchased either for the shop or works; everything and if it was not right; then it was not purchased; sooner or later someone might realise that their sales were down; wondering why; I would sometimes say to them; open the box you are selling; go on; be daring; have a look at what you are flogging and maybe you will recognise a slight problem with the goods and then wonder why we are not buying them either individually or in quantity; we mostly dealt with direct from the manufacturer; i.e. importers; crates of Brazilian 5 ply block board; logs of many species of hardwoods and softwoods; packs of laminates; 22 foot heavy shop section loads for in house machining; direct no middle man; best prices and usually OK; that is until for example suddenly one day we had crates of WBP ply so tensioned if stood on they would snap like a mouse trap; warped; we were told that was OK; I will not tell you here my reply. The blind leading the blind.
Again, someone trying to tell me that black is white and white is black; it is not; and don't get it right and we do not buy; maybe then they will learn as their sales are lost; particularly if you are buying in bulk; years ago we used to call it....Quality Control; an unknown term for many in this day and age it seems. I used to show people our works book; photos of the variety of work we did and still do; not one of them made a comment; why; they had never seen such a variety of work manufactured and fitted to such a high quality; maybe that was due to me and us. This is not arrogance or bigheadedness; it is fact; get it right or don't do it at all.

Sponsored Links
the trouble is,you are 1 guy.
theres going to be a hundred more who think its great.
so they will continue producing in your eyes the rubbish you are finding.
ive had cheap sash locks like that and just gently bent them back into shape.time is sometimes money and if i were to take everything back that was slightly damaged i would end up getting a rolliking from my guvnor.
as where i work its always on a budget so if they can get 20 for the price of 5 they will go for the 20.

just recently ive had to fit a load of star locks,absolute garbage and the keys do not work.better to use a screwdriver then the keys supplied. :rolleyes:

Back