Cheap method to repair bath panel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fix and strengthen areas that have cracks in my bath panel especially as I have to twist and bend it quite a bit to slide it back in and for whenever I need to take it out again.

I'm on a budget during these times and with my limited knowledge I can see this as the best option so far. I've already got super and general purpose glues if they can be used instead in conjunction with anything else that would do the job?

IMG_20210301_130459.jpg IMG_20210301_130505.jpg IMG_20210301_130532.jpg

Are there better options to repair this panel cheaply?

Thanks and hope you can help.

Sponsored Links
I don't think you can repair/strengthen that without losing the flexibility to be honest. Fibre glass repairs are good but tend to be inflexible so it will probably just split again.
Is the split at the top or bottom of the panel?
Clearly the area it fits into is too tight so you need to remove some off the edge of the panel. Do those tabs locate into slots or just tuck under the bath edge? If they tuck under the bath edge you should be able to sand them down a bit so you don't need to flex the panel as much. As for the splt? I think you may have a tough job trying to repair it and may find it cheaper in the long run to buy a new one.

Thanks for your reply.

The largest crack is at the bottom of the panel. In the photo you can see bottom lip (can't think of a better word but hope you know what I mean!) and the top of the panel had a lip too but I trimmed it off so the top now slips behind the bath edge itself instead of just beneath it.

This was the problem that caused the cracks in the first place (along with my laziness to correct the issue) because when they fitted the bath (just before I bought the house) they didn't take into account the room needed once tiles were put down. All I could put down was hardboard as underlay and vinyl stick-on tiles at a push unless I raised the height of the bath which of course means altering the tiles, sealant, plumbing etc.

In the photo you can see I put some rubber feet on so that the panel will rise up behind the bath edge. There's no longer any issue with pressure being forced down on the panel since there's plenty of play as the panel sits behind the bath edge , it's just a bit fiddly getting it back in as I need to coerce it underneath and behind the edge.

Would a thick dollop of silicone sealant keep the panel together from splitting further while giving some flexibility? I feel as if some kind of semi-rigid paste/glue will do since those cracks weren't actually formed from removing the panel but from pressure which has now been eliminated, however, I don't know if such stuff exists.....at a reasonable price!

I'll probably start with superglue, then sealant, then duct or carpet tape! I already have those items. It doesn't need to be pretty if I attack from behind!

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Araldite on the back would be my suggestion for a cheap and cheerful temporary repair.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back