Cheap & Nasty Retaining Wall Ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Moving soon, and first thing on our list is a fairly large log cabin. First off as a place to dump our stuff whilst we redecorate, but more long term a place for the endless kids toys & occasional spare room for the in-laws!

The one we've gone for is the 5m x 3.2m from Tuin.

Looks like the current patio has been dug out previously. I want to dig out further so the cabin is facing the patio looking back at the house, ideally level with it. Easier access, and a little more neighbourly considering it's 2.5m at the ridge.

The area the cabin will sit on is 3.9m deep on the rightside of the photo, up to 4.2m on the left. Current ground height to the patio is 77cm, and the brick wall at the back is 160cm tall.

Obviously I'm very keen to not compromise the wall, or the house behind it. Guessing will need to hold back 4m on each side, and 6m across the back - so 14m of retaining wall to construct on a limited budget.

Any ideas welcomed :)

upload_2018-1-21_15-19-15.png

upload_2018-1-21_15-25-51.png

Sponsored Links
Cheap but dodgy: concrete gravel boards and posts. It might work if you can sort out a way of adding some reinforcement. Or cut them in half and use twice as many posts.

675mm x 375mm gabions.

Timber sleepers

Concrete blocks, probably laid flat.

If you have suitable access, grab lorries will be cheaper than skips forvthe spoil -which on its own is gonna cost a fair bit.

Thanks - handily there is a gate over in the corner - so I'm thinking mini digger + operator, followed by grab hire.

I did have a look at the gabions, I guess I'd need to see what they can hold. I'm also getting idea looking about that the height I'm looking to retain is not particularly high or difficult really.

Figure I need to dig out 6m x 3.5m x 77cm - 16 cubic meters... 25 tonnes?!

I think the maths is good, but seems like too much. Anyway, any ideas on how many days to dig that out with a mini digger + experienced driver?

Sponsored Links
Figure I need to dig out 6m x 3.5m x 77cm - 16 cubic meters... 25 tonnes?!

I think the maths is good, but seems like too much. Anyway, any ideas on how many days to dig that out with a mini digger + experienced driver?

The spoil will fluff up by 50% so expect about 24 cubic metres.

Id be guessing a day with a decent size digger 3 ton maybe?

If an driving will be over patio, I would suggest you put down boards, 18mm osb or shuttering ply

Ended up being one man, a mini digger and two 18 tonne grab hires... around £900 total.

21BF9F2D-A2CD-4F2D-8B70-95A74E13779E.jpg

BE1893EA-5D6D-48C3-903D-42F725290688.jpg

C2FD8C99-70CE-4796-9809-903C8C5FD8F9.jpg

bc7ca6bf-4aef-4952-8ac3-33cf1182bd50.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back