Checking a pump?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem where I can't get all of the radiators working all of the time. (one radiator in particular seems to give me most grief). If I close off all rads apart from the troublesome one - it seems to work ok. I've had a go at balancing the radiators, and have managed to get the temperature fairly consistent across all rads - the only problem now is that none of the radiators seem to heat up properly. Could this be a weak pump? Someone told that a way of checking the pump is to remove the centre cap, and with the pump running, apply some pressure to the spindle (e.g. with a screwdirver or something) and try to stop it rotating - I was told that if the pump can be stopped, then it needs replacing. Well, I tried this and was able stop the pump. It doesn't seem very scientific, but can anyone confirm if this is a valid test? Is my pump past it's best?
If I do need a new one, where is the best place to buy it? It is currently a Grundfos 15-50 - do I have to replace it with the same type/spec or is there something better?

Sponsored Links
have you tried adjusting its speed?

(little "dial" marked 1 2 3)

have you tried adjusting its speed?

(little "dial" marked 1 2 3)

Yes - it is currently set to 2, and tonight I tried it briefly on 3. It seemed a bit noisy when set to 3 (although, I'm not sure if this is normal) - so I have turned it back to '2'. I probably didn't leave it on 3 long enough to notice a difference in radiator temperature.

I've also been told that if there are any leaks in the system (and I do have to bleed the radiators occasionally - so perhaps there might be a small leak somewhere), then increasing the speed setting to 3 can worsen the problem. Is this correct?

Sponsored Links
Having to Bleed is more often a sign that corrosion is going on, so not enough inhibitor.

I've never tried stopping a pump that way and I'm surprised that you can.

There have been a few posts here recently on testng pumps.

If you get another Grundfos you will be able to change just the "head" - remove the 4 allen screws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back