Chemical clean before new boiler question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 18 months ago we had our heating system converted to a sealed system and had an unvented hot water cylinder fitted. Everything in the system apart from the boiler was changed including the zone valves and controllers. At the time, a powerflush was carried out as well as inhibitor being added and I finally got rid of the inky water that was running around my system. Also, within a month of that work I replaced all upstairs radiators - a couple started leaking and the others were a similar age. Just recently I fitted a Fernox Omega TF1 magnetic filter to the boiler return. It hasn’t picked up much rust particles so pretty sure there’s none running around the system.

I’m having a new condensing boiler fitted in a months time, I had three quotes and all installers said that I wouldn’t need a powerflush but I’d like to give the system a good clean out to satisfy myself the system is as clean as it can be before the boiler is installed. The reason for this is that although my system has been powerflushed, had inhibitor added and the water is now clear, when I removed a hall radiator about a month or so ago, there was some black water coming out when I got it outside. Of course I got a hose in it, filled it, shook it, repeated it and got a load more out. I kept doing this until it was completely clear - obviously some tightly packed sediment that the powerflush hadn’t flushed away. Is this normal? Anyway yesterday I took the two rads out from the kitchen/diner and got a similar amount of silt out of them too. All downstairs rads are around 12 years old (upstairs were around 50 years old). I still have the lounge and downstairs bog rad to do. I’m pretty sure there’ll be nothing in the upstairs rads.

Once the final two downstairs rads are done, I intend to drain it all down, refil and add some chemical flush and run the system intermittently for a few times a day, then drain and refil with with clean water a day or two before the boiler is fitted.

Does that sound about right what I’m doing or is it OTT? Have I missed anything? Any suggestions/preferences of chemical cleaner? Also, how long can the cleaner be left in the system before it must be drained? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Would say you can never get OTT when it comes to cleaning a system, it's either clean or it isn't. Even with a powerflush some sediment can sometimes be left in the rads, also depends on whether they used an agitator on the rads whist the powerflushing was performed. Only way to be sure is to remove each rad and flush it out separately, as it seems you will have done.

Check the manufacturers instructions as to timings for the cleaner. Always best to drain and fill it a few time to ensure all the cleaner is removed as that can just be as bad to the system, especially with Ally HEx's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back