Chimney breast removal advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a mid terrace house and had a loft conversion completed 18 months ago. As part of work we had a shared chimney stack removed to floor level. Builders used a concrete lintel on the party wall to support steel beam that was then used as part of loft conversion.

Subsequently had the chimney and breast fully removed in the bathroom below - we didn't notify building control of this as the builder didn't make us aware that we had to.

Neighbor is now having a similar job done and has removed the chimney breast on their side, but is suggesting that our lintel be replaced with a RSJ as it will impact their ability to get sign-off of building work. They didn't serve a party wall notice for chimney breast removal.

Wanted to know whether a) RSJ is required given the stack above has been fully removed and b) if it is am I within my right to request that neighbor splits cost as the RSJ would be on the party wall and essentially benefiting both properties.

Sponsored Links
The party wall notice is not relevant to this, and if they need a special beam to satisfy building control, that's up to them. You aren't really benefiting from it as your work is fine presumably.
As long as the beam is sufficient, then it's down to them to upgrade it for their needs.
Feel free to contribute, but I'm sure they didn't contribute to the original one.

You & the neighbour reduced the chimney stack/breasts on both sides down to "floor level" - the loft floor joists?
A concrete lintel was fixed somehow "on" the loft party wall.
The lintel was used to support a steel beam?
Where exactly was the concrete lintel fixed? Perhaps a photo?

You then removed your bathroom c/breast to first floor joist level.
Your neighbour has now removed his bathroom c/breast to first floor joist level.
No mention of the neighbour doing a loft conversion?

Did either of you submit PWA notices or have some kind of written agreement?
Have either of you at any stage involved BCO?
During all this was there a party wall in the loft?

You & the neighbour reduced the chimney stack/breasts on both sides down to "floor level" - the loft floor joists?
A concrete lintel was fixed somehow "on" the loft party wall.
The lintel was used to support a steel beam?
Where exactly was the concrete lintel fixed? Perhaps a photo?

You then removed your bathroom c/breast to first floor joist level.
Your neighbour has now removed his bathroom c/breast to first floor joist level.
No mention of the neighbour doing a loft conversion?

Did either of you submit PWA notices or have some kind of written agreement?
Have either of you at any stage involved BCO?
During all this was there a party wall in the loft?

I'm not sure why the lintel was used - it's in the party, presumably as a means of strengthening the wall beneath the point where the steels are supported. Our loft conversion has full building regs sign-off so I can only assume that everything was deemed to be normal at this point. Yes we did serve a PWA for the loft work, including removal of chimney to loft floor joist level. The chimney breast was removed to first floor joist level afterwards as a separate job - BCO weren't involved in this.

Neighbor has completed a loft conversion and did serve a PWA notice which I agreed to - it didn't make reference to chimney breast removal in bathroom. When they removed the breast there was some damage to the party wall behind the breast - not sure when this occurred but it has since been repaired.

All of our work has been fine and intact since completed. Neighbor seems concerned that he won't get building reg sign-off for his work without RSJ support being used. Does the fact that I already have BCO approval for our loft work make this a void concern?

Sponsored Links
The concrete lintel is presumably being used as a padstone. Maybe their SE has somehow calculated that adding a second steel resting on the lintel wouldn't be strong enough. Sounds odd but presumably since they're on site they have a reason. Anyway if they want to do that at their cost for their benefit it's up to them, but they should give you drawings so you can check it.

Does the neighbour now want you to use a RSJ as a replacement for the concrete lintel in the party wall.
This RSJ would then act as a new lintel to carry "steels" used in your loft conversion?
What dimensions would this RSJ be?

Perhaps a call to the BCO who inspected your loft conversion will clear a few things up?
eg. BCO inspection of the neighbour's steelwork and carcassing would have taken place near the beginning of their job - it wouldn't be a last minute shout.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back