Chimney breast remove

KWK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a builder that was taking my chimney breast down and told me to get the gallow brackets and support, but now he cannot do the job through illness.

I had another builder in yesterday to price the job up and he is saying something completely different!

He is saying that the chimney needs to be longer then the last measurement as it cannot be shorter then the chimney on the roof. It is a joining chimney to my next door neighbour.
My first builder said it doesn't have to be longer because it is tied in???

Anyone know if any of this is right! I am thinking of getting a structural engineer in to have a look!

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Gallows brackets are not acceptable to all local authorites - much depends on the size of the chimney left, the way it is bonded, the condition and strength of the mortar etc.
Increasingly, inspectors are asking for the remaining brickwork to be supported by a steel beam. If you consult an SE, they will probably advise using a steel beam to be on the safe side.

Also depends on what is on the opposite side of the wall.

If there is an existing chimney breast then gallows brackets might be acceptable. If not then it's unlikely they will be allowed.

Thank you for replying. The neighbours are on holiday and back tomorrow. I am going to ask them if they have had their chimney removed inside and take it for there. Now the builder is saying it is best to take all the chimney down and the part on the roof! He wants to ask next door if they will allow him to remove the chimney completely and I repair the roof afterwards!

It's gone from not a big job to been huge!!!

Sponsored Links
A couple of things,

Ronny and tony have given you a number of the important requirements for c/breast removal, but there are plenty more. Perhaps you'll research some .gov sites for further info.

Why are you removing the whole, or part of a c/breast?
Usually, you will devalue your property by removing these features, not to say, often leave it looking weird without the c/stack.

We have been approached to quote for building or re-instating chimneys for solid fuel fires - believe me, they are coming back.

A couple of things,

Ronny and tony have given you a number of the important requirements for c/breast removal, but there are plenty more. Perhaps you'll research some .gov sites for further info.

Why are you removing the whole, or part of a c/breast?
Usually, you will devalue your property by removing these features, not to say, often leave it looking weird without the c/stack.

We have been approached to quote for building or re-instating chimneys for solid fuel fires - believe me, they are coming back.

Thank you for your reply! I have two chimneys in the house and the one I am taking down is the one in the kitchen. It take a large part of the bathroom (a very small bathroom) and a big part of the kitchen. It is smaller then the main chimney, which is huge, and runs into two bedrooms and the living room and I am going to open the large one up and put in a multi fuel burner.

The one in the kitchen was housing the back boiler which is now removed. The one I am taking down is not needed and will make a massive difference to the room sizes!

I removed the last bit and I have made a flitch beam I made of 150mm wide by 10mm plate with 150mm x 50 timber either side. These sit on the walls and the bottome is tied with a steel cable
Originally they was on 2 10" timbers and a steel plate either side

• Thanks
Reactions: KWK
stuartturbo,

Thanks for posting your interesting pic. How does this c/breast removal fit in with your, when last seen, boarded out conversion?

If you dont mind me asking, who designed and who approved the arrangement in the pic?

I had a structural engineer come out and I was shock at how he waffled on!!! I'm so pleased my son was there also.

He said I would need two steel RSJ's going across the loft! He was going on for so long and humming and arring until my son explained how he thought it could be done. He then turned to my son and said, "What a jolly good idea!"
It cost me near on 200 quid for him to say he thought my son had a brilliant idea :rolleyes:

The one good thing though, he said the normal gallow brackets would not be good enough and he was designing one for the job. He does not want to go inside the wall like the gallow brackets you can buy from the net. He said it could disturb the mortar and bricks!

Had to just call him today to see how long the drawing will take as it's been nearly a week now! He said he will finish it off and post out for me tomorrow!

At least I have peace of mind now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back