Chimney breast removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to remove the chimney breasts in my terraced house. The next door neighbour has had their chimney breasts removed and they are supported by gallows brackets. From what I have read I cannot use gallows brackets if a neighbour on the adjacent side is using gallows brackets. Is this correct? if this is the case, would I have to support the stack using a steel across the load bearing walls on either side of the chimney breast?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would prefer not to remove the whole stack too, I have drawn up and have an agreed party wall agreement.

Best phone local building reg as they all seem to have a different veiw on the subject
Mine was like this up to a few weeks ago.
It was supported by 2 off 8x3" wooden beam from outside wall to internal wall then a 5mm steel plate over them to the stack. between the stack was a wood support
the black line shows where a flitch beam goes that now hold the stack up then shown in second picture

Sponsored Links
Don't try gallows brackets - opinions vary between inspectors as you have been advised.
You could use steel beams between the outer walls and and inner load-bearing wall, if you have one.
There is another method I have used occasionally, which is to utilize the purlins. In some instances, it is possible to span a flat timber beam from purlin to purlin, and then prop in the middle off a loadbearing wall (see sketch). This beam/post arrangement then carries the remaining breast and stack. (it's not very heavy because of the flues).
It doesn't affect the bending stress in the purlins because it's right up against the bearing in the party wall.
It's unorthodox but it works - if you have strategically placed purlins and a brick wall below.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back