Gallow bracket question added bottom of page :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm removing my chimney breast from ground up into my loft. Ive had a engineer design me gallow brackets to support the remaining chimney breast in the loft.

Do I need to support the chimney above while I remove enough brickwork to install the gallow brackets and lintel?

Or is it ok to remove the 3 corses of brick. Get it all supported and then continue with removing the rest?

Sponsored Links
One way or another, this question has been done to death. If you do a little research on the above search facility you will find all kinds of recent info. ref your question.

To do what you propose requires far more than just gallows brackets - not least, any neighbour's safety and peace of mind.

One way or another, this question has been done to death. If you do a little research on the above search facility you will find all kinds of recent info. ref your question.

To do what you propose requires far more than just gallows brackets - not least, any neighbour's safety and peace of mind.

Ive had a structural engineer do calculations and design me the correct gallows brackets and lintel to support the remaining chimney breast??

I will search. Although in the time it took you to write that you could have said that you need to support it with acros and strong boys or no you will be fine.

I wasn't sure if it was the same as when i removed my load bearing wall. I can imagine that theres alot less weight than than

Ive read the first 2 pages from the search engine and it doesn't answer my question.

The other reason I think I don't need to support with acros / strong boys is because ive read countless posts and storys of chimney breasts that have been removed and not supported at all in the loft space. Or supported very poorly with wood ect.

Which have required supporting afterwards.

If this it the case surly it will be ok for the hour or so it will take me to slide the lintel in.

Im going to install the 2 outer brackets on eather side before I start work.

Remove enough bricks to get my lintel/ slab on. Pack it up ect.

Remove more of the brick so I can install the 3rd bracket. Then it will be safe to remove the rest down to the ground floor.

I just need to know if the chimney needs surporting with acros/ strong boys for the hour or so it will take me to make it safe. Having acros there will make it near impossible to slide the lintel in. plus it will have to come though the ceiling. athouth i can repair that when i sort the wall out.

I know all about the Party wall agreement. building control. Structural engineer. If the chimney is remaining on the other side of the wall. How much chimney i need to leave inside the loft compared to outside the loft. That the chimney ive removed needs capping on the top. ect. all of that.

I just need to know if it needs supporting with acros (I know that any flooring joists that would be resting on the chimney breast would need acros but luckily that isnt it case)

Sponsored Links
I just need to know if it needs supporting with acros

Usually they don't; the remaining chimney stays up because of the corbelling-effect of the brockwork. One or two bricks may come loose, but nothing drastic.

if you are worried - take the sides out first and the weight is being held on the front, put the gallows in then if you feel you need to, prop the side on the gallows before you take the front out...that way it's always supporteded.

Thats assuming you;re takign it down from the top to the bottom...if for any reason yo want to take then ground floor out first then the first floor, you might want to suppor the rest fo the stack first...

if you are worried - take the sides out first and the weight is being held on the front, put the gallows in then if you feel you need to, prop the side on the gallows before you take the front out...that way it's always supporteded.

Thats assuming you;re takign it down from the top to the bottom...if for any reason yo want to take then ground floor out first then the first floor, you might want to suppor the rest fo the stack first...

Sounds like sound advise. Ill go this route if I can. belts and braces and all that. Cheers

One more thing.

My chimney goes from 2 into one above the ceiling. So 2 stacks in separate rooms which join together in the loft space into one big chimney which goes out of the roof.

Im only removing one of these chimney breasts so the rest of the main chimney in the loft will be half supported buy the remaining stack.

My next door naybours have removed the same chimney breast that ill be removing but my structural engineer didn't ask about that.

He has specked 3 gallow brackets without asking if next door still have there stack.

Normally i know your not meant to use gallows brackets if next door have done the same but in this case the main chimney is still half supported buy my other remaining stack.

Will it be ok to use the gallows in this situation. Is that why my structural engineer didn't ask about next door as he new it would be safe with the gallows?

If you go back to my Sept 28th post on this thread, you might now see why i said what i said - then again, you might not?

If you go back to my Sept 28th post on this thread, you might now see why i said what i said - then again, you might not?

Yep you've lost me. Would you mind explaining what you mean or the point your trying to put across?

For example. Your trying to tell me Im not capable and to get a builder in?

Im endangering my neighbour's life?

I should trust my structural engineer and install the gallow brackets.

Gallow brackets arn't upto the job and it requires an RSJ despite what my structural engineer has speced.

Ive failed to do something important?

My question has already been answered hidden in the 100s of chimney breast removal threads?

Are you doing this through your local Building Control?

If so, one point you need to bear in mind is that not all local authorities accept gallows brackets. Your SE may have designed the best brackets in the world (in terms of supporting the weight) but it will not necessarily address the issue of overall stability. Perhaps check with your BCO before going too far?

Are you doing this through your local Building Control?

If so, one point you need to bear in mind is that not all local authorities accept gallows brackets. Your SE may have designed the best brackets in the world (in terms of supporting the weight) but it will not necessarily address the issue of overall stability. Perhaps check with your BCO before going too far?

Hi tony. Yes mate its all going though building control and ive sent them the plans for the load bearing wall and gallow brackets. There happy and have told me to crack on and tell them when its done (before its plastered) for them to check it out.

My pennys worth...

Councils have different ideas re gallows brackets and chimney support but they are all very similar,some councils have detailed info on the internet But remember that that info could be out of date and useless.

The chimney pot needs to be removed and a vent fitted to stop rain and foreign objects entering the supported stack.

I have never had council approval when wanting to remove breast in loft,when my party wall neighbour has done same.

3 gallow brackets have been mentioned,thats only necessary if breast is over 4 foot long.

Before starting work write/email your building control officer and make sure they know next door had done the same job.

Also tell your insurance company,some impose an extra charge whilst structural works are in progress.its in my very small print.

Apart from the above the removal of unwanted chimney breasts makes more space and well worth doing.

Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back