gallows brackets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
been reading posts on here about gallows brackets and am a bit confused.
if someone has removed a downstairs chimney breast and has used these to support the remaining upstairs chimney breast are they stuck with these brackets in full view in their living room or are they hidden somehow? i should add, before i get shot down about building regs etc, that i'm not even contemplating doing this work. it's just that i can't envisage these brackets stuck in full view on someone's wall.

Sponsored Links
the few i've seen have always been in the loft "L" shaped bracket of steel bolted to wall. (hope that is what a "gallows braket is" emotion)

A section of the gallow's bracket (as described by kevindgas) would be hidden in the ceiling void, but there should still be a small angled section protruding into the living room which would have been dry-lined. If not then some other form of support has been introduced which is unlikely to have met the requirements of the Building Regulations (or it may be that such issues were not part of the Building Regulations at the time the work was carried out?)

If there is no cracking ocurring to the wall plaster to the chimney breast in the room above then there is unlikely to be any immediate problem.
If on the other hand there is cracking ocurring then further investigation should be carried out, and it is recommended that a Building Surveyor is consulted as they will use a relatively non-intrusive piece of equipment called a borescope to inspect the ceiling cavity and provide recommendations for any necessary remedial works.

The main concern with removing chimney breasts is to ensure that the chimney pot to the removed fireplace is capped off and secondly that the cap is ventilated as this will stop issues arising to do with soot staining which is caused by rainwater penetration and/or a build up of condensation in the disused flue.

Regards

The gallows brackets can be fitted in the room above, just above the floor, and then then you fit some studwork to make the breast look like it still goes down the the floor, thus hiding the bracket

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back