Chimney Stack Support - removal of chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All

I'm looking for some advice on how to support the chimney stack when removing a chimney breast.

The chimney breast is in the bathroom and runs from the first floor to the stack (ie not all the way to the ground floor). I want to remove it to give a square bathroom.

I will be leaving the stack in.

The house is a mid-terrace and as far as I understand the chimney breast is identical on the other side of the wall in the neighbours bathroom.

I have sketched how I think the chimney breast is constructed and will also point out that the left hand side is part of the supporting wall that forms the main part of the house.

My question is whether I could leave the left hand side wall in place and support the otherside with a gallow bracket and then run a lintel across into the supporting wall - I've drawn two gallow brackets on the sketch so please ignore that!

I would really appreciate some advice here.

Thanks in advance.

View media item 67662 View media item 67663

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back