Chimney question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening fellas (and ladies).....

Just a quick question about opening up this chimney for a range cooker and extractor. The builder has asked how high I want the lintel which is generally 750 clearance from the 900 worktop above the gas hob...which is just about the blue line on the picture.

The red lines are where the smoke shelf and interior brickwork corbel up. Also there’s a very loosely laid pile of bricks inside the chimney.

1: what height would you install the lintel?
2: any idea what the pile of bricks is for inside the firebox?

Any other observations?

Sponsored Links
Sorry forgot the picture

Attachments

• E0BFCD2A-2685-40E3-931B-382D6630579E.jpeg
    E0BFCD2A-2685-40E3-931B-382D6630579E.jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 83
Sorry, also how would you extra the air from the fan? Can’t go out the back as it’s the party wall

I’d want it just over head height.

Your fan duct would need to be boxed in along the ceiling or under the room aboves floor.

Sponsored Links
Thank you, I think that’s the best isn’t it... if I have it higher I can put studwork in to bring it down but once it’s in I can’t take it higher if it’s too low.

Bless logic...

Looking at it I think the extractor will be able to exit on the RH side and out to the gable though the utility. Might need an inline fan though as it’s 6.5m run

Ours it at 6ft and the fan goes (or will go when I fit it) out through a slim wall unit.

5C1E8185-2890-48BE-9BCB-35A85CB144AD.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back