Fireplace/ Chimney Issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning !

First post here so thanks for anyone that may read this.

Some advice of poss... I am intending on installing a wood burner in replacement to a gas fire that I have removed and capped off.
I have taken out the old gas fire to reveal an open fire surround which I have also taken out.

The fireplace is flush with the existing wall no pertruding chimney breast, the opening is 27" wide with what seems to be an internal Chimney block one brick in depth and 10" wide ( the existing flue ) inside this opening.

My main concerns are installing a Lintel? and supporting the internal Chimney block? there is no Lintel observed though do reckon it would be a good idea.... and is the internal chimney block supported from the ground?

Any Advice or ideas greatly appreciated...

Many Thanks

Craig ( covered in brick dust )

I added an image two vertical lines showing chimney block horizontal line proposed Lintel ..

//media.diynot.com/142000_141001_21644_30525396_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
Fit a pcc builders lintel at the desired height to deal with the opening. Then fit a pair of short lintels sitting at right angles to the breast lintel to deal with the sides of the flue.

The flue lintels can sit upon the breast lintel and back onto the breast back wall.

Hey there.... thanks for the reply,

I will have a look at one of those Lintels as you suggested hopefully it should be straight forward....

I will let yous know how it goes ...

Craig

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back