Cracked Stone Lintel above fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have recently doing some work in our kitchen to open up a large chimney breast. We've hacked off most of the plaster and were very pleased to find a very large open fireplace. It was almost exactly what we were hoping for as we'd like to install a large range cooker in the chimney breast. However, above the fireplace opening is a very large stone lintel - measuring about 70" wide, 8" high and about 6" deep - running the entire length of chimney breast. Unfortunately there is a crack going vertically through the lintel. We'd really like to keep the stone lintel in place and I'm hoping it can be braced, supported or otherwise repaired in some way. I have looked at other threads here and there is suggestions that you can install steel bars below it or even bolt bars behind the lintel to support it.

Its an old Victorian house build around 1882. The chimney breast runs up through the first floor bedroom and through the attic. The height of the stone lintel is just less than 5ft from the floor and the height of the ceilings are about 9ft 8"

I've attached some pictures showing the chimney breast, the fireplace and a close up of the stone lintel crack.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20190204_214027.jpg
    IMG_20190204_214027.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_20190205_073044.jpg
    IMG_20190205_073044.jpg
    457.3 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_20190205_073052.jpg
    IMG_20190205_073052.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 407
Sponsored Links
I guess you are referring to the height of the extractor fan above the cooker ? My plan was to have the extractor behind and above the stone lintel (lintel is 6" deep)

Not sure if there is a minimum height requirement. I checked and on most extractors have to be fitted between 650mm and 750mm above the top of the cooker, so with 5ft (1.52m) we may just get away with it....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back