Moving lintel above fireplace

A little more exploration done and I've picked up 2 of 4' by 6" pre-compressed concrete lintels from the builders merchants. The internal wall continues up into the first floor and up to the stack - there is a small step where the 1st floor joists rest, so it's load-bearing. I've propped above where the lintel is to go and removed a couple of stones. My main problem at the moment is that the stones are large and irregular, so if I remove enough of them to fit a 3' door there will be nothing supporting the lintel. If I can keep the doorway a little slimmer we should be ok.

Think I'm ok using timber props on a stone wall, or is it time to go rent some strongboys?

2015-07-25 17.17.54.jpg

Sponsored Links
Well that was one of the scariest bits of building work I've undertaken! However, there's a lintel in and the wall above has been built up between the needles and is setting. The old mortar was fairly soft but nothing moved that wasn't supposed to. Tomorrow I will remove the two outer props and fill in the wall there - I'll leave the last prop until the rest of the wall above the lintel is solid.

2015-07-25 18.45.55.jpg 2015-07-25 21.01.33.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back