Chimney stack removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's actually my neighbour who wants to remove their chimney breast (no issues there) and now turns out they also want to remove the stack. They would need to remove the whole stack (my side too). I only use that chimney as vent for gas cooker - no open fire.

Does anyone know:
1. Do I have to agree to the works?
2. Is there any benefit to me agreeing (my understanding is it would mean I could remove my chimney breast in future without worrying about support)?
3. Would the works actually affect me or all be done externally with no access/mess on my side?
4. Can the stack be removed if used for cooker vent?

Cheers!

(p.s. no need for pwa advice - just looking for answers on the stack element)

Sponsored Links
1. Yes, they can't remove anything on your side without your permission.

2. True. As long as you remove the breast at both floors and in the attic space there will be nothing there to support.

3. They wouldn't need access to your side as long as they only remove the protruding part of the chimney breast.

4. The stack can be removed as long as the gas exhaust is still safely vented, so that needs to be considered.

One thing I would suggest you look out for should you agree to the works being undertaken, how are they going to reinstate the roof after the chimney head is taken down, these works should be recorded in your house legal documents. Also in the event there are problems after the works are complete, just make sure your legally covered against any costs to put things right. They may be good neighbors just now but what happens if they sell?...pinenot :unsure:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back