Choice of jigsaw

gus

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to obtain a jigsaw that is capable both of cutting outlines of shapes for woodcarving and also cutting sheets of chipboard (to save having the expense of purchasing a circular saw as well). I would be grateful to receive suggestions as to the features I should look for. I have seen that some jigsaws have a scrolling feature and others have a pendulum action - what is the difference?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I think the majority have the pendulum action and the scrolling feature is another option on certain models. You need the scrolling feature whereby you can actually turn the blade direction whilst cutting, for cutting out shapes.

Black & Decker do such models.

I am not a carpenter.
Almost any jigsaw will cut patterns, but as you also want it to cut sheets of chipboard I am unable to suggest a particular make / model to do both, how ever what i will say is it does depend on type of blade you use and speed it runs at. From experiance i could not cut a perfectly straight line in chipboard with a jigsaw (but it may just be me)

It is generally accepted that to cut strait lines you should use a circular saw, you say about expense of having to buy both, i found this

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=50087&ts=24083

(19.99 for a jigsaw)

and this

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=24501&id=15770

(£35.99) for a circular saw

so for £56.00 you can have both. At the end of the day though it depends on how much work you are going to give them to do as to if they will last. I personally like black and decker, others I know hate them. I have had a couple of B & D cordless drills (lost one at £150) so i bought a "store brand" one it works fine does what i want and at less than £40.00 I will not be too upset if i loose this one.

At the end of the day the choice is yours, do you wnat reliabilty or price.

That said i think that a very well known brand is way over priced, a bit like a "designer saw" like you can get "designer trainers"

you may also want to read //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=856

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back