Choice of monitor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to add a 19 or so inch flat monitor (ie to use with current 15"), to use for Photoshop. Don't use games, might use it for telly I suppose.
I know things have to be "calibrated" in terms of colours. Does this restrict the type of monitor I should look for, ie would it need any particular adjusment capabilities beyond the norm.

I only have a vague idea about brightness, dot size, speed type stuff - any recommendation?

I gather using two monitors together is standard now.

2600 pc, 1gig, 128 nvidia geforce4 MX440 card.

ta

Sponsored Links
The type of monitor you need will be dictated by your grahics card. If you have a spare DVI connection (rather than a D-15) then you need either a DVI monitor or a VGA monitor with a DVI-VGA converter.
If you have only a spare VGA connection then you must use a VGA monitor (D-15).
There is massive differentiation between moniors, so choose carefully and look at review sites such as www.tomshardware.com and www.anandtech.com
You will need to configure your grahic card software to accept the 19" monitor as the default.

I can't find out for sure whether it supports 2 monitors or not - there appears to be one rectangular and one round connector, (about 8mm dia.) . 64MB not 128 I think.
There seem to be leads available to connect several different types..

This http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce4mx.html talks about multi display options so I suppose one can - would a spare connector be covered?
I see there are lots of parameters to measure monitors by but I don't know what I need for my purposes - can anyone advise?

Sponsored Links
An 8mm round connector is probably for S-Video to a TV/VCR or DVD recorder. It is certainly not a monitor output.

There are two types of monitor output. One is called a D-dub 15 and it is a "D" shaped connector with 15 pins (and is probably what you have). The other is a DVI connector which is bigger that the D-Sub 15.

Sound as though you can't use two monitors with that card.

Yes, you can. I have exactly the same card in my PC. It has a standard VGA out, a DVI out, and an S-video out. You can use any of them on their own, or if you want a dual set-up you must use the VGA and one of the others (ie you can have any combination except DVI + S-video).

I have 2 monitors, both with standard VGA plugs. I bought an adapter for less than a fiver including postage from eBay, which enables me to plug the second monitor into the DVI socket:

vga-dvi.jpg

(apologies for poor quality cameraphone pic!)

So with an adapter, your card allows you to use either connector type - the choice is yours. It's a good video card, by the way - I'm very pleased with the performance of mine.

I have just bought a 17" lcd tv with a vga input on the back to connect my pc into it.

Spot on, it's hung on the wall with ntl connected to it, so when theres nowt on the box i just flip av mode and surf the net.

Perfick.

Back