Choosing and planning a shower. Or how much in Swindon?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am finally going to install a shower cubicle. I have a number of questions however, the primary question is which type of shower?

Any quotes to do the work in Swindon appreciated! I supply the shower, base and enclosure.

Ideally I would like to fit an integral pump power shower. I ran one over the bath for a number of years without any real bother so therefore, I hope I can repeat this in the shower enclosure.

I have a dedicated cold feed from the header tank in the loft. The hot water will have to come off the hot water circuit currently in the bathroom. The hot water is cylinder fed which has the header tank in the loft (with the cold feed alreday mentioned above).

Can I get away with a power shower? I do not want the complication of an electric shower and I cannot take a feed off the hot water cylinder - too far and too awkward.

Next question.
What should I use to put on the walls for before tiling? The walls themselves are not suitable to tile onto due to old plaster. I also need to build a small amount of stud wall as one of the walls is only 45cm wide.

Thanks for your help

Bob J

Sponsored Links
These are good showers with integral pumps. Got one in my house, works a treat. You need to have a 50 gallon cold water storage cistern for this, anything less and it will drain it in no time. With the hot supply not having an independant feed it might not be too much of a problem. I had to do what you have to some time ago so i phoned Aqualisa and spoke to someone in the technical dept. They told me that as long as i put a non-return valve in on the supply it will not invalidate any warrenty. I'd phone them and ask to check if this is still the case (if you go for that shower :LOL: ). They have a great customer service and are very helpfull unlike some other companies. 01959 5600010

If you don't want to get your walls re-plastered before tiling you could always try some of these. It could possibly cost less but don't quote me on that ;)

Installation is easy, ShowerWall is so versatile that it can be fitted on top of existing tiles- saving a great deal of time and effort in removing them. They can even be fitted on to brickwork, plasterboard and do not pose a problem to uneven walls as they can be secured to battens, which are fitted beforehand. When taking into account the time consuming task of tiling and grouting, ShowerWall takes only a fraction of the time to install with dazzling results.

If tiling is what you want, rather than using plasterboard on your stud work use Wedi board or something else thats similar. Theres a few on the market if you do a bit of research.

that should give you a bit of an idea. If thats not what your after, someone else can give you some advise, i'm a slow typer ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back