chrome pop up waste plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

The chrome pop up waste plug in our wash basin has broken.

-(actually, the nut/screw at the bottom of the plug which keeps it at a certain height has broken which means that when you push down the metal rod behind the taps to open the plug and let water drain, the plug does not pop up).

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement plug and what is the correct name for it ?

Thanks.

:(

Sponsored Links
You'll probably find them in about five years time when they also will be providing spares for drop valves. If you can't wait that long buy a complete new popup waste.

Thanks Paul,
:rolleyes:

Do you know where can I buy a complete new popup waste unit to fit my wash basin ?

You may not need a new plug yet. The nut is usually a regular M4 or M5 bolt and nut that can be bought from any hardware store. Try and get a brass one and cut it down a bit if it is too long. Also, buy a new o-ring while you are there too. If you have a good old fashioned local hardware store, just take the plug in with you, the guys there can usually get the right bits for you straight away

Sponsored Links
Good advise, as compared to our local b and q whose staff haven't all ben to the Mcdnalds "have a nice day" charm school.

They like best looking blankly at plumbers who have been sent to replace a faulty part (radiator, wc pan, whatever) where the client has been treated very nocely over the phone by someone at head office who has been trained in manners. We stand waiting while we are eyed up by all the overweight smurking oxygen wastrs, who think that thieves must go into bnq all up and down the land with a damaged radiator in their hands asking for a replacement for Mrs Bullimore as arranged by telephone. I mean that's the first name that would roll off your tongue of you wanted to con bnq out of a radiator exactly the same as the one you have in your hands.

As the client said to me when I eventually got back with her new rad, "they were just too lazy to go and look". I suppose that's how they got fat standing arguing the toss instead of moving flab!

:D

removed old broken bolt and replaced it with a regular M6 size bolt £1.95 from a hardware store. It is as good as new again so no need to find a replacement.

Thanks grrinc for your suggestion.

:D

If the bolt isn't brass or stainless it would rust a bit...
How about this?
16087.gif

bes.ltd.uk item 16087. They do others too-search.

The bolt is stainless steel so it may be OK. I couldn't find a complete pop-up replacement since my plug was smaller than the standard 1 1/4" size.

Anyway, the replacement bolt has done the trick so all is well !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back