Circuit protection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst modenising my daughters kitchen, which is an extension into an outhouse with a concrete floor and a concrete flat roof. I have found that the previouse owner has ran a 45 amp supply to the cooker which is protected by a 45 amp rcd.

From this supply they have spured a further two double sockets and a light using the 2.5 mm and 1.0 mm cables required, using a connector block inside a junction box.

I have installed a new plaster board ceiling and are having to shorten the cables and move the sockets..
1. Is the use of a connecting block without the smaller circuits having their own rcd's acceptable ?
2. Can Fused spurs be used or is there a better way to protect the small circuits. ?

Sponsored Links
morning mate.got the day off today,went out at 5 and found a flat tyre.fitted spare and guess what?

my fingers have only just thawed out!
getting to your problem,im sorry to say mate this sounds like a total no go to me.when you say 45amp cable i assume your talking about a 10mm?
how big is the oven? this needs to be on a separate circuit anyway so do the sockets and as for the lights the only way is to run a separate circuit for lighting as the last thing you need if the rcd goes(if you have one which you should)is to lose the lights too if your standing there with a red hot roasting tin with a big mother of a turkey in it!
this is all notifiable work and must be carried out correctly in accordance with the regs.
if a customer asked me to do this for them,based on your post,i would refuse point blank.
if im barking up the wrong tree then please carry on messaging and i will try to help you out further

Thanks for the quick reply daytona.

As this is an extension to the kitchen there is in fact another light which is on the correct lighting circuit so if there was a problem we should only loose the one on the oven circuit.

It looks like I'll have to pull the 10mm cable out of the plaster to see how it was run from the CU into the outhouse.

With a bit of extra work I can extend the ring main around the walls to the extension. If I can trace the route of the 20 mm cable presumably I can install another supply for the light. It all means more chasing and replastering of walls but I would rather have it wired correctly .

I'll check the cooker ampage, and that all the appliences have the correct size fuses in their plugs

I just wondered if there was any way to install inline protection to save time and the extra work, providing that the 45 amp rcd and cable were not being compromised. thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back