Clay fireback - Asbestos??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I had a clay fireback with about 3inches protruding all the way around following the removal of a large brown tiled fireplace and subsequent replastering. Trying to fit a new mantle and surround and it became clear that the protrusion just had to go as it would mean the surround would have to sit outside the mantle. I took an angle grinder, drill and concrete saw to it and have managed to get it flush, but then (and only then) did it cross my mind there may be asbestos in the clay. Could anyone shed any light on how likely this is? House was built 1920's although style of fireplace suggests it may have been a c1950's addition. The colour of the exposed material is yellow/pink with grey/black flecks. There is a grey stripe visible through the middle towards the bottom, but that may be a mark left by the tools when I cut it.
Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
About as much chance of asbestos there as me winning the lottery - - ;)

Thanks Nige - most reassuring!! Is that because asbestos is not a useful addition to fire clay? Best of luck with the lottery anyway!!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back