Fireback Protruding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just moved into a new house (built one year ago) and hated the fireplace. I got a wooden surround and a new cast iron insert and today went to put them in, however, the fireback is protruding out of the opening by about 2 inches.

Is this normal? This is causing the insert to sit about 5 inches away from the wall, which in turn is leading to a 1inch+ gap between the surround and the wall.

The builders had packed some rockwool into the gap between the insert and the wall, mortared around that, and put the surround over it, but my new surround cant reach that far....

Would it be okay if I got out my angle grinder and cutback the sides of the protruding fireback so that's its flush with the wall? I want to get a gas fire installed in the next few months - do they need a minimum depth?

Sponsored Links
Depends on what type of fire you want to put in. Ive just fitted a 16" inset gas fire in my house and needed to open the brickwork to 300 mm deep, 560 mm high and 410 mm wide.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back