Fixing Cast Iron Fire Insert and Filling Gap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Im about to fit a cast iron insert and wooden surround. I have placed the insert in position and put the surround in place but there is a small gao of about one inch between the two. It seems that I somehow need to bring the cast iron insert away from the wall to be flush with the surround.

In a previous post someone suggested using strips of masterboard (fireboard?) stuck together and then put thes around the edge of the insert between the wall and back of insert.

I just spoke with someone in Jewsons and they seem to think this is not a good idea as the board will eventually crumble.

Does anyone know if this would work or a better method of sealing the gap?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Reginald - the clue is in your posting - "... wooden surround". Why not attach a 1" timber batten to the surround, finished to match?

Masterboard wont crumble (it is brittle so perhaps that's what they meant). Though I preferred to use pink fireproof plasterboard. Not because of the risk of it burning but because it is thick and strong. I consulted many sources when installing mine and the consensus was the fireback had to meet the surround. However you do this is up to you. Symptoms idea of packing with wood is a good one (and will save time) if it will match your surround. On mine it is a veneered finish so nothing would match so I had to bring the fireback out. I stuck 2 strips of pink plasterboard together on two sides and top of fireback and stuck between wall and fireback with Plumbaflue heat proof sealant. This was set in an inch from the outside of the fireback so I could plaster it in as well (as the fireback has to be stuck to bare bricks and I had the undercoat plaster out anyway). Don't forget to take into account you final skim thickness when positioning the surround depth away from the bare bricks.
Hope this helps and is no too confusing...

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Im about to fit a cast iron insert and wooden surround. I have placed the insert in position and put the surround in place but there is a small gao of about one inch between the two. It seems that I somehow need to bring the cast iron insert away from the wall to be flush with the surround.

In a previous post someone suggested using strips of masterboard (fireboard?) stuck together and then put thes around the edge of the insert between the wall and back of insert.

I just spoke with someone in Jewsons and they seem to think this is not a good idea as the board will eventually crumble.

Does anyone know if this would work or a better method of sealing the gap?

Cheers
Hi, we have similar issue - what did you decide to do in the end?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do not resurrect old threads. See the forum rules. ONE new thread will do.
Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back