fireplace install questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just some concerns about a recent installtion, can anyone help us out with some questions to get second opinions?

We have just had two fireplaces installed back into our flat. The restored kit we bought included pairs of the iron surround, trays and a pair of stone firebacks, as well as a pair of smaller, slanted shapes bricks. These are the width of fireback, but with smaller 90 degree corners, whcih we assume was the throat lintel ?
They look just like this pic: http://www.c20fires.co.uk/im2/throat_forming_lintel.jpg

1)
After they installed, one of the fireplaces has this lintel piece sat on top of the fireback at the back of the fireplace (so it looks like an extension of the fireback) Is it supposed to be there ? Also there is a gap between the top level of the fireback and the level of the hole of the surround

please see these pics of bedroom fireplace:

DSC00473.JPG

DSC00474.JPG

2)
a second question, they seemed to have built-up a layer of concrete on the other fireplace here ? Cant find the lintel piece anywhere like it is in the bedroom fireplace (also lots of sealant)

DSC00479.JPG

3)
are the firebacks high enough anyway ? heres an extra image of the whole fire, the concrete base is at floor level

DSC00482.JPG

4)
Also, heres the (what we believe is) construction lintel up inside the bedroom one, theres a grey block laying across, then a layer of red brick, then the flue. Does this look normal and safe ?

From below
DSC00475.JPG

From up and behind
DSC00476.JPG

also gap between fireplace and wall

DSC00485.JPG

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Have a look here http://www.c20fires.co.uk/fireplace_fitting.htm

The throat lintle should be fitted at the front of the fireback forming the "throat" If the throat of the chimney isnt right the fire wont draw the smoke and fumes away properly.

The concrete base should be level with the hearth.

I should have it checked.

the block work below the brick arch in the chimney looks ok. The brick arch is holding up the chimney breast, the block work below it is just filling up the standard builder's opening to the correct size.

Can't comment on the throat or the concrete build up, but if you're hearth is one piece i hope you're not going to put real fires in. The one piece hearth will crack.

Sponsored Links
It's difficult to get a bearing from your photos but if I'm seeing it right the throat section is in completely the wrong place. It should be at the front of the fire place, not at the rear. Also the finishing looks rough to me. Did the bloke who fitted it arrive on horseback by any chance?

B-B, Looks to me that the top piece on the 'smoke shelf' should be at the front-(at a 180 degree turn and put upside down to as it is now I think). Do it quick before it sets. It should resemble a 'bend' in the flue. Also I think there should be another expansion slot in the base piece, and a cavity behind also to fill with rubble.

Not much of that looks right to me :cry: was the installer old enought to have seen a fireplace installed/in use :rolleyes: also whats a "Restored Kit" :confused: that`s all new repro, Allegedly ;) from what I can see....probably from the Yuk Fu iron foundry in China, allegedly. Only my opinion ;)

I have never sen such a disgusting mess in all my life in the constuction industry dont forget on the original fireplaces most of the backs were made from cast iron and had a plate the was removed when a fire was to be used, as the other postings have said the lintol is upside down at the rear and he has tried to use it for a parging of the throat it should have been fitted at the front to hold up the brickwork above and were only used in modern type of fireplaces where the opening was iether 16 or 18 inch with a fireback then it sat on the front part of the brickwork with the angle going up the flue to help form a 9" throat
there was also a gap at the rear which would have been filled up the parged with cement at an angle so soot did not form on any ledge

DONT EVER LIGHT A FIRE IN IT and DONT EVER PUT A GAS FIRE IN IT

the whole thing is a mess and should be ripped out and done properly in my opinion

mick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back