Opening out fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've decided to get a wood burning stove installed, but to do this we need to widen the fireplace. I've removed the nasty tiled fire place surround and taken out the fireback, but I'm now slightly confused.

It looks as if the fireplace has been narrowed at some point with a row of bricks on either side. I'm assuming they aren't part of the original fireplace because the bricks are slightly different and they aren't tied into the surrounding bricks.

I'd like to take them out, but I'm concerned that they might in someway be supporting the brick arch above the fireplace, which I'm assuming is the lintel. The house was built around 1904.

I've attached a few pictures to highlight the problem. Just want to know if you think I'd be safe to remove the bricks that have been added to the narrow the fireplace, or if I need to put a new lintel in before I do this? I'm worried about the fact that there are some large bricks which look like they are supporting the arch sat on top of the ones that have been added to narrow the fireplace - I've tried to show this in the second picture.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
it was fairly typical for a fireplace opening to be built a certain size - albeit larger than would be needed.

this aperture would then be bricked up to suit the design of fireplace intended for that room.

i can see from the image that there is a double row of arch bricks that have been partially removed obviously to accommodate a taller fire insert.

the original 'builders opening' is clearly demarked by the arch and the older bricks to the sides.

the more recent or additional bricks that have narrowed the opening down could be removed if it wasn't for the fact that the arch bricks have been tampered with.

you would be better off inserting a lintel at the desired height and create an entirely new opening to suit your needs.

Had a similar thing at a mates, What I did was put the lintel above the Arch, and rested the lintel on the cheeks of the chimney breast. Then you can knock down the bricks in the middle and tidy it all up.

Noseall and Neds, thanks a lot for your responses.

Looking more closely at it today I suspected I was going to have to put a lintel in. If I can manage it I'm going to try and put it in below the remaining arch. I'm hoping if I knock out some of the bricks of the second arch - which has already been messed around with - then I can push the lintel in and rest it on the cheeks of the chimney as Neds suggested.

Neds you talk about putting it in above the existing arch, that would actually be a lot easier. My worry about that is that I'm going to have to knock out a row of bricks to do that, how can I support the chimney whilst I'm doing that or do I just need to work really quickly?!

Sponsored Links
how can I support the chimney whilst I'm doing that or do I just need to work really quickly?!

it is unlikely that you will need any support.

there are probably a maximum of a half dozen bricks, in a diminishing triangle, that could potentially fall out. if any do, just re-mortar them in after the lintel has been inserted.

Yeah wouldn't worry about any falling out, just take the row of bricks out one by one and remortar as Noseall suggests. Once the lintel is in use some broken slate and wedge it in-between the lintel and brick to give you a snug fit, you want the above course of bricks to be snug with the top of the lintel.

Just wanted to say thanks very much for the help, got the new lintel in and no bricks fell out in the process! I've now reinstated the second arch and just about finished the plastering. All looking good for the stove to be installed in early March.

I said early March, I meant early Jan - clearly the excitement of getting the job finished has got to my brain!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back