Clay pavers on drive mismatch!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
80A74554-6302-45AE-BA5F-DB47A4C22085.jpeg
0CBE56E7-776D-4784-B485-FB016710FFA3.jpeg
I had my drive extended a week back, compared to the rest of the drive the new area was only a small Proportion (the right area on the main picture)

Quote I received via email stated that matching clay 60mm pavers will be used.

Job took a few days to complete. I paid via bank transfer.

The next day after the sand had been washed away by the rain I had a few concerns.

The bricks used for the extended area do not match.
Bricks were ordered via mail delivery so how could a good match be guaranteed?
Day 2 of the job they realised they would run short so got a handful from a local yard - these are a different shade aswell.
After job was complete I discovered they had used 50mm bricks! (Original are 65mm)

Pictures attached to give you an idea; you can clearly see the different pavers.

I can fully understand that exactly matching pavers which have been laid 20/30 years ago will be a near enough impossible task however this Match appears extremely poor, yes?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
With any brick matching, I get samples for the client and when the bricks are delivered get them approved, in writing. Its the only way to prevent these situations arising.

I would think the same would be done with pavers.

Do you know if the new pavers are the same manufacturer abd colour as originals?

From the image, some of the originals look pretty close to the new, but overall the original has a blue cast and seems more shiny.

It rather makes me think the original, or a section of the original shouldve been lifted, mixed in with the new and laid -but I guess if you start lifting the originals maybe they all have to come up.

4F3423DE-2881-4C66-988B-6C7C8AAD37B6.jpeg

Above is new
60A85AA1-2669-4542-BA25-BE9BC4443497.jpeg

Above is original

Hi there,

Yes the originals have a blue tint/shine to them, the new ones are a Matt/dull type of purple. The new bricks are one colour, there is no two tone type colour like the originals.

I have lifted 2 bricks earlier and they both have different codes - no brand name though.

I was told that the bricks ordered are “charcoal brindle” however they don’t look charcoal at all!

I have asked the installer to come back to discuss further but I am no longer getting my calls answered. Very unprofessional and disappointing.

Last edited:
You cant get 65mm anymore only 50-60-80 mm
To be honest you haven't a hope in hell of getting a good match.

Normally you'd mix them all up and re-lay but with varying thickness thats a real pita.

They do the job for parking so not all bad.

Sponsored Links
The thing is;
The quote stated matched 60mm pavers. He used 50mm and did not inform me he was doing so.
I am now being told due to salt content the bricks will take some time “weather” and then they will match better?
Too less of an amount of the new bricks were ordered, which meant additional bricks had to be sourced from another yard, these are visibly darker - as shown on the first picture.

On top of this now not answering my calls or providing me where he got the bricks and what make model they are.

If the match could not have been made then surely I should have been informed before starting the job.... not assumed I will be OK with it.

The thing is;
The quote stated matched 60mm pavers. He used 50mm and did not inform me he was doing so.
I am now being told due to salt content the bricks will take some time “weather” and then they will match better?
Too less of an amount of the new bricks were ordered, which meant additional bricks had to be sourced from another yard, these are visibly darker - as shown on the first picture.

On top of this now not answering my calls or providing me where he got the bricks and what make model they are.

If the match could not have been made then surely I should have been informed before starting the job.... not assumed I will be OK with it.

Well youve nailed the issue......it should have been discussed with you before starting. Im not sure where you go from here. I guess youve got the choice of pressure to do the right thing or give up and get another contractor.

Completely fifferent colour when wet, one is blue new is brown.

Its a real shame as the laying looks pretty neat, at least from the pic

The laying is pretty neat - hence why I paid payment on the day of completion.

I may look at going down the small claims court. The job as quoted “matching 60mm pavers” has not been completed to spec.

I don’t need to be fobbed off saying they will wear in when it blatantly is a completely different colour.

Good luck.
I think you'll be wasting your time.
Shame but i doubt the colour is even made anymore.
The contractor maybe a bit inexperienced about things like this, lots are.

What has the paving firm said about it? It's a total miss match and a real shame.

Edit, sorry just read the salt content comment

629CFEA4-C773-442E-8F82-1CCC1FC0BB58.jpeg
I asked them to come out to discuss - which they have not.
Stopped replying to my messages or answering my calls now.
Very pathetic

Pic above shows the extra pavers ordered. There are 3 different types of pavers now!

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back